Sunglo® Calf Developer
Sunglo® Show Calf Developer is a great option when you're looking to increase bulk and finish in your show cattle due to it's high fiber and high energy inclusion. A great choice when jackpotting or as a transition between Sunglo® Calf Grower and Finisher.
Starting Calves on Developer:
- At the start of the feeding period, fill calves on hay and gradually introduce Sunglo® Show Calf Developer over time the first day, divided into two equal feedings.
- Increase feed by 1-1.5 lbs. per day, with corresponding decreases in hay until full feed intake is achieved.
- Once calves are on full feed, Sunglo® Show Calf Developer should be hand fed in equal feedings twice a day.
- Transition slowly from one ration to another to minimize risk of digestive upsets.
On Full Feed:
- Feed should be completely consumed before next feeding. Do not allow feed to build up in bunk and get moldy.
- Remove any feed not consumed and reduce the amount of feed in proportion to the amount left over.
- Similarly, increase the amount of feed when feed is completely consumed before the next feeding, but limit this increase to one pound or less per feeding.
Slowing Rate of Gain:
If calves are gaining too rapidly, it may be necessary to use one of the following options:
- Decrease the daily allotment of Sunglo® Show Calf Feed by 2-4 lbs.
- Add Sunglo® Full Tank™ at a rate of 1-5 lbs. per head per day to meet desired weight gain.
Some large-frame calves may require longer finishing periods or increased energy density in the finishing ration to achieve the desired finish.
- To increase energy, feed 50/50 Sunglo® Show Calf Developer and Sunglo® Show Calf Finisher.
- Add 1-3 lbs. of Sunglo® LiquaFAT™ to meet desired finish.
Going Off Feed (Burnout):
This feed has been carefully formulated to promote consumption. However, should your calf experience a drop in feed consumption of more than 10% of targeted daily feed intake for more than two days, blend in Sunglo® 2 the Fullest with Cob™ at a rate up to 1/2 of daily intake to enhance appetite. A more dramatic drop in feed consumption may require going back to the beginning and re-initiating your calf to feed. In either case, the return to Sunglo® Show Calf Developer should be done gradually. Should your calf go completely off feed, consult your veterinarian or Sunglo® Show Feed specialist.
West Coast Formula: